Thursday, August 6, 2009

TR X Two!


When I'm not running...I'm working - At least that's how it feels these days.

Just a quickie here as I prepare to launch myself into back to back TransRockies events - A month of non-stop prep work, actual event work and play (racing!). I'm about 2 1/2 days away from the start of the TransRockies Mountain bike race for which I've been working as the Operations Manager over the past few seasons. Even though I've never been a huge fan of mountain bike racing, I do very much enjoy working the event as it presents an incredible challenge logistically, and I guess that makes me tick - I love the rush you get from finishing a crazy busy day going 100-miles-an-hour, something happening every second of the day...and then BOOM - it's bed time! And then you wake up and do it all over again- ha. One thing I've learned after 4 years is that there is ALWAYS something to do (or something that goes wrong) as long as the event is on...Helps keep me on my toes! Now imagine the amount of things that can crop up over 7 days in the Rockies!

Once the bike event is done, the TR team makes a quick transition, reorganizing the equipment in two piles...bike and run. We reload all the trucks and head for either Calgary (back to storage) or to Colorado for the Gore-Tex TransRockies Run!

With 8 days turnaround between both the bike and the run we barely get a chance to sigh...(sigh). If I'm lucky, I'll get to sleep in my bed for a night, water the plants and have a beer with some friends before whizzing down to CO to prep for TR-Run...Although I don't have much to do with the organization of this event (since I'm a participant), I do like to help out the crew as much as I can in the lead up days in order to take my mind off the upcoming race - besides, I think I'd go bonkers doing nothing the entire week leading up to the start!
As for now, it's 1am and I've wrapped up my final prep day in Calgary. Tomorrow night I'll head to Panorama Mountain Village and set up for the start on Sunday - I can't wait!

Oh, and training ask...? I'm actually quite happy with my fitness right now. I've been focusing my training on raising my threshold and anaerobic capacity, and slowly slimming down to race weight - So far so good. We'll see what this week (of work) brings, but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the task this time around - enough not to let it control me (too) much.
A few runs in CO, some high altitude air, and I'll be back on track...

Well - that's it for now. I'll update when I can over the next bit, but expect some more ramblings once my work stint with TR-Bike is finished on August 16th.
Thanks for reading!

No comments: