Friday, April 25, 2008

Another Blast of Winter!

OK, enough with the white stuff...I'm ready for summer.

Canmore's been stuck with mid-winter conditions for about a week now, and it's driving me nuts. What's with Mother Nature these days? This morning, it was -8C, and another 3cm of snow covered the ground. What the shit?! Enough already.

That said, last weekend's record 70cm snowfall (24hrs) at Sunshine was nothing short of epic. I just happen to be booked in the Sunshine Village Hotel (thanks Kellie...and Alpine Homes!) on the 'morning after' and was fortunate enough to catch some of the best runs in my life...I hooked up with one of Kellie's workmates (Colin) who was an ex-National Telemark Team member, and entertained him in my attempt to follow him down the mountain. If you haven't tried tele before, it's a monster quad burning workout. Even with trained legs, I usually can't make it down a run without stopping at least a few times to flush the massive amounts of lactic acid build-up. Although I did my best to hang-on for dear life, Colin quickly disappeared on most runs to find his own untracked-bottomless powder...

After two full days of hard ski sessions, apres-ski bevies followed by various social functions, Monday morning's strength workout was nothing short of pathetic. Actually, the entire week has been brutal - and the weather didn't help! So tired...Despite feeling like an Arion Rufus, I braved the -10C mornings and set out to get the legs turning.

Yesterday, I started back on the massage routine and although I'm sore from the morning workout, I'm feeling much better - So good in fact that I actually planned an intensity for Sunday, so we'll see how that goes.

As for my plans tonight, I get to beat up Kellie, my girlfriend...What? Believe or not, she signed us up for boxing sessions at the local Rec Centre. I'm not too sure how it's going to work out but at the very least, I figure it can only be considered good therapy...Stay tuned!

No comments: