Monday, June 30, 2008

Meet my TR Partner

With only 8 weeks to go until the 2008 Gore-Tex TransRockies Run, there's no more time to waste - It's time to crank up the training for the final 2 month of preparation! After last year's experience, I'm even more motivated to prepare as well as I can in order to challenge for the win. But first, I needed to find a new partner...

Although we haven't discounted teaming up again in the future, I believe I can speak on Dom's behalf (my partner from last year) that it was an amazing event to share together, and we are quite content with keeping the good times rolling! Despite barely knowing each other, we developed a great friendship that will last for many runs to come - Besides, for $3K, I can't think of a better guy to run with for a week in the Colorado Rockies!



Rippin' in up on Stage 2 from Vail to Camp Hale - Our best finish with a 3rd place overall!

On Friday, I got a chance to hook up for a training run with my new TR partner, Adam Campbell, of Victoria, BC, who was in Calgary for a weekend wedding. I think we both knew that we would be good potential partners, but it's always nice to give your 'gut' a confirmation, especially in an event like TR.


Since Adam's only visit to Canmore had been at last year's Canmore Challenge Trail Race, I lined up a tough single-track filled run that would give us a good idea of each others abilities - The 2.5hr run (including the 750m of elev gain) was relatively quick as we 'tested' each other on both the climbs and the descents! Needless to say, both of us were a little stiff later that afternoon...

Good runner AND good teeth!

With Adam's specialty being climbing (proved by his 15th place at the World Mtn Running Long Distance Championships last year in Switzerland!), I've got my work cut out if I want to hold the pace in TR! As I've said before...It's good to get your ass kicked once in a while so you get to see how much you need to improve-

Adam chasing cows in Switzerland...(I think he really likes milk)

Thanks for the great run Adam, know that I'll be right there with you in 8 weeks!


No comments: