Monday, July 28, 2008

Phil and Bob's Adventures-

After almost 15yrs in the valley, I'm finally starting to chip away at the many great runs in the Canadian Rockies...

Not your average 'run', but if you're up to it, the Pharaoh Loop offers amazing terrain and views! A quick recap of a 3hr-run-gone-over-the-limit with Bob! Click on image to view details.

Life has been a bit nutty over the past month with non-stop work leading up to TR-Bike. With 2 weeks to go, I'm pedal to the metal work wise and always trying to squeeze in a run or two...

In between work stints (which never really stops), I've been spending lots of run-related weekends on the road including a very brief stopover in Mexico for the NACACs (North American Central American Championships) held in Tepatitlan, the Tequila producing capital of Mexico, just outside Guadalajara. As Team Canada manager, I didn't really plan to race hard at this specialized uphill event, but why go all the way to Mexico and not run! My lack of short-hard-high intensity training this year didn't help tackle the 9km climb, 700m vertical gain and 2,700m summit finish...but it was a good workout nonetheless.

Team Canada atop Cerro Gordo - Tepatitlan, Mexico


The course was surrounded by Agave plantations, used to produce most of the Tequila of Mexico

I felt a little burnt out after Mexico so I laid off the intensity for a while to let the body recover and focused on long easy training. With the anticipation of TR-Run coming up, I hooked up with a few of the local boys that will be representing the red & white in Colorado and started planning a few back-back long runs.

Lake Minnewanka has one of THE BEST single-track trails around - Scott, Mark, Kevin, Brian and Phil out for a 4hr cruise last weekend.


On top of Chinaman's Peak - I used to race up this track to 'test' my fitness back in my mountain running days...From the gate to the summit, I'm about 4.5min slower than my best these days...I think I'll try to do this every week until TR-Run to see if I can close the gap...

Part of yesterday's epic from Sunshine parking lot, over Healy Pass, and around Shadow Lk Lodge via Whistling Valley and Pharoah Creek and return to Sunshine. Bob and I often tag-team together for epic runs. We grossly underestimated this one...Our planned 3-4hr run turned into 7hrs - Don't leave your map at home!


Lot of 'fresh' bear activity near Shadow Lake Lodge...


This cold-creek soak helped get me up and over Healy Pass - 1hr+ to go...

3 comments:

Mike said...

Ahhh, the best epics are the ones that weren't supposed to be :)
That's a long day of running and I can really relate to the Egypt Lake river photo. It may only be one hour to go (for you, a fair bit longer for me) but it's a big grunt up and over Healy.
I have an emergency kit that's always in my pack now, it has gel, loose change and a headlamp. I set it up after a shortish evening run with a couple of friends turned into a similar 7 hour epic.
Bloody friends, they'll be the death of me!

Phil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phil said...

Hey Mike- That last section from Egypt back up Healy definitely took longer than an hour - An hour is what I 'thought' it would take...ha. During the run, Bob and I were reminiscing on what our longest run was up to that point...We each looked at each other and realized we only ever do these 'stupid' long runs when we tag along together.
You planning anything fun this weekend? I'm avoiding Bob this weekend... email: phil@x-c.com