Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Eastern Block Training

Note to self...racing is 'easier' when you're in good shape.

Ugh- I'm tired. I just rolled back home after a big 3-weekend stint out East where my body got as much mileage as my promo talking - In addition to the three back-to-back nordic expos where I was promoting the 2009-10 Salomon Nordic line-up, I had a chance to jump into two of Canada's biggest events, the Canadian Ski Marathon (CSM) and the Gatineau Loppet (aka Keski, Keskinada, Gatineau 55, etc...)!

After grinding my way through
CSM's 160km event, I felt like I was dragging a grand piano behind me for the remainder of the week! Nevertheless, I decided to sign up for the 'Keski' a few hours before the final registration deadline thinking I would inevitably feel better on race day...Besides, I need the training right? Right...


Ok, here's my rant of the month...

The situation: A downpour on Wed/Thurs in the Ottawa area, followed by a flash freeze cold snap (-15C on race morning) left the Gatineau Park trail system a wee bit icy in the days leading up to the race. Despite the abundant amount of snow covering the area, it's unfortunate that the Keski organizers took the easy way out...uh, I mean...decided to choose the 'safer' option by sticking to an out/back course which oozed it's way in and around the Gatineau Parkway. For those of you that aren't familiar with the area, the Gatineau Park has over 200km of trails, and offer skiers anything from wide open parkway skiing, to fun rolling terrain along the Gatineau hills. With it's proximity to Ottawa/Gatineau, it offers a quick escape from reality on a year-round basis.


As for the event, don't get me wrong, the grooming quality was great, and the event itself went off to its normal Keski standards, it's just that I, like many others, were disappointed that the organizers didn't consider adding at least a few 'fun' sections along Ridge Rd, or any other available options for that matter. Was grooming the (very) icy trails an issue? Yes, of course, because you have to go slower and over the area more often. Does it cost more time/money? Yes, absolutely. But where there really genuine safety concerns? Perhaps...but not if you're going UP Ridge Rd from let's say Keogan to Huron chalets?? I don't even think that there's a downhill in there? What about Penguin to Keogan? I suppose it's all a matter of perspective - and besides, what do I know...It's not like I organize a major mountain bike event that crosses the remote rocky mountains for 7 days...I'm just a skier. Or maybe it's just me being a grump...

As for the $117.51 I paid to ski 53km on the relatively flat parkway that I could have skied regardless for the $10 day fee...? No regrets - It was a good opportunity to work on my double poling strength which certainly got tested to its limits! In the end, I was out-gunned by a Norwegian fellow who truly impressed me by double poling up the infamous Black Lake Hill and fellow competitor Phil Shaw, who despite his lack of kick, skied a smart race only to lose the race in a sprint to the line. I managed to hang on for 45k or so, but lost contact after a bad feed on my part...and cruised in a couple minutes behind the boys.

Good training for the Rock and Ice right? Right...

So what next...It's time to get some specific training in with my sled. I'll be based in Canmore for the next little bit (which I'm very much looking forward to!). I skied today at the Canmore Nordic Center and was pleased to see that it had snowed in the past weeks, enough to cover most of the rocks brought up by the CNC's talented grooming crew...I suppose I could ramble on about that topic too, but I'll save that for another rant-

1 comment:

holly said...

Eek! I think you need to relax at home for a few days.