Thursday, August 5, 2010

Do as I say...NOT as I do!


So, it's back to the drawing board for this guy...

It's been a tough week.  Physically, my legs have been so sore to the touch from all the muscle damage (caused by extreme cramping), that I almost had to reinforce the hand-rails on my stairs due to putting too much weight on them (ok, maybe not...but they did creak a lot!). As for my mental state...well...to have spent so much time/effort focused on one big event, only to have the experience cut short due to a mistake in my preparation was a major disappointment to say the least.  So enough said on that part.  But like all my other 'learning experiences'...life goes on. 

Until today, I haven't had much desire to hit the trails...But as my body started coming back to life yesterday, I started thinking about how unfortunate it would be to 'waste' my current level of fitness - After contemplating a few events, I remembered how much fun my
TransRockies Run experience has been over the past 3yrs, and decided "What the hell - Why not!".  So this morning I registered for TR's 3-day solo version, the Gore-Tex TransRockies Run 3

It's not the first time I've made (big) mistakes in training.  Looking back, I've had my share of training 'fumbles'.  I suppose that it's one of the reasons I enjoy sharing my training advice and adventures - If I can help others avoid taking the same rough trails I did, then mission accomplished!  Then again, if you prefer to stick to the rougher terrain, you're welcome to tag along on my next run...

2 comments:

Tom Craik said...

Phil's muscles at CDR sucked, sure. But I love the way you immediately start looking onward. Within a week you're signed up for something else huge. Your positive outlook is what makes you so brilliant at what you do. Tres bien, Monsieur.

Looking forward to seeing you down there in a few short weeks.

Sue said...

There's nothing like getting back in the saddle right away. That's exactly what I would do. Onward and upward to the next big challenge. Happy training and have at blast at TRR.