Thursday, December 11, 2008

Can Anyone Water My Plants?


My coaching days are over, and unfortunately, it's time to get back to my 'real' job-

After 10 straight days of skiing ( I mean coaching) on Silver Star Mountain, I suppose I can't really complain. Not only was it a great (extended) week of skiing, but along the way, I had the chance to meet some great people and athletes from both sides of the border.

I think I often take my sport(s) for granted and forget how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to practice it every day. For most of the master skiers that came out over the course of the camps, it was a chance to temporarily escape their reality, their day to day lives, to enjoy one of their passions for X number of days. Whether alone or with a partner, what really mattered is that they loved every second of it...(ok, maybe not the part where we grinded our way up the hill everyday - oops!).

One of the cool highlights for me was spending the afternoon (and post ski beers) with a few down to earth superstars...Trevor Linden (Retired Vancouver Canuck), Derek Porter (Rowing - Olympic Gold Medallist), Axel Merckx (Pro Cyclist - Olympic Medallist) and the rest of their crew decided to come 'hang' at Silver Star and learn the fine art of skinny skiing! Despite the difficulty of the sport, these boys muscled their way up the trails and made huge improvements in a short time - and of course, they managed to have plenty of laughs along the way-

All said, it was really cool to be part of the camps this year, and I look forward to an even better turnout next year - Kudos to my friend Bondo, who did a great job in reviving the camps after their near death last winter.

My crew of 'Weekend Warriors', on top of Silver Star Mountain Resort waiting for the sun to peak. Thanks for the good times!

So back to reality...As soon as the camps were done, I drove back home, where I had just enough time to water the plants, pack up my (still wet) nordic demo fleet and off I flew to Toronto, where I'm presenting a Salomon info night and Demo Day at the Hardwood Hills Nordic Center tomorrow. It's been snowing like crazy in On-terrible this year, and I'm hoping I get a chance to test out my boards on the local white stuff!

As much as I'd love a bit of R&R on my return, it will have to wait because by then it will be time for my Swix Coastal Tour, which starts Monday night with 3 back to back clinics! Normally I'm not a huge fan of the Christmas Holidays...but I think they'll be somewhat relaxing this year.

Somehow I stumbled into a 007 Party...thought these boys were pretty funny!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil, it was great meeting you out at the Silver Star camps - skiing with you, sharing a beer, dinging your skis! You're an incredibly generous individual. Thanks for all of your hard work and coaching. Hoping to run into you again soon!

-Mark Hall

Lily on the Road said...

Wow, what a great way to embrace your passion and turn it into a career! Sweet!!

Phil said...

Mark: Thanks for a great week- Looking forward to skiing with you again soon!

Lily: Thanks for dropping in...It's funny (strange) how so many individuals plug along in a job, a relationship or a lifestyle that they absolutely detest - Most will claim that they don't have a choice...I disagree. I truly believe that everyone has a choice to control their own path - I've run into (and will continue I'm sure) to run over my fair share of speed bumps (and cliffs) along the way - the important thing in all of this is to be ready for them!